Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pumpkin Soup


Every Halloween I make Pumpkin Soup for us and for the parents that hang out over here while all of our kids go trick or treating.  As the kids have gotten older, some folks come over for the pumpkin soup even if they don't have any children trick or treating!  I also make it several times over the course of the fall and winter, as it is so simple and freezes well.  And it tastes even better the second or third day.

The original recipe is from Saving Dinner by Leanne Ely, but I make a number of changes.  The recipe serves 6, but I usually double it.

In a soup pot, saute a chopped onion in 1 T olive oil until very soft.  According to the recipe add in 1/8 t nutmeg and 1/2 t curry powder -- but I up this considerably -- a tablespoon of curry powder for this much soup, and sometimes add in some additional Jamaican Jerk seasoning with additional thyme for a Caribbean spin, or some sriracha (Vietnamese "rooster" sauce -- a chili and garlic type sauce), 4 cups of chicken broth, 2 cups of pumpkin puree.   Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.  Add 2 cups of milk (I substitute a can of coconut milk for some of this) carefully so the soup doesn't "break", and continue to heat gently for another 5 or so minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste, adjust seasonings as needed.  If the soup needs a little more "depth" of flavor I add a teaspoon or so of soy sauce.  In the picture, I put a dollop of Greek yogurt on top.

3 comments:

Mojo said...

Thanks! I printed it out but don't think I'm not coming over next Halloween....

Anonymous said...

Yummm Diane, just the kind of soup I would love. Thank you. Clarice

Meadowsweet Cottage said...

Pumpkin soup is a seasonal favorite at our house. It's so good that I (almost) don't miss summer!