Sunday, November 6, 2011

Apple Time


This week I got a post season delivery (direct to my house!  how convenient is that?) of fall produce from the CSA (Mammaw Melton's Heirloom Vegetables) that I had joined this summer.  I got a bag of turnip greens, a bag of lettuce, a bag of basil, a bag of okra, 6 or so nice sized sweet potatoes, and a nice large bag of green and ripe tomatoes.  Included also was a bag of 6 Arkansas Black Apples, baking apples.


So Saturday morning I used them to make an apple crisp.
It was a very easy recipe.  Butter or spray an 8 inch baking pan.  Slice up the apples (I didn't even peel them), dump in the pan.  Mix together about 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup of oats, about 1/2 cup of softened butter or oil, 1/2 cup of sugar, some cinnamon and nutmeg and put on top of the apples.

Bake for about 40 minutes at 375 degrees.  Have a bowl of pumpkin soup leftover from Halloween for lunch while the crisp is cooking.


Ok, that soup is soooo good -- especially after a day or two, I'll have to do a separate post about it.
notice the tomatoes and figs from my tree
Eat warmed, with a splash of milk, or whipped cream, or ice cream (or all of it, like my girls).

linking to Eat at Home

3 comments:

Michelle713 said...

1 word: Yummy!

Kathy said...

This looks Yummy! Great fall recipes!
Hope you have a great day,
Kathy

Tiffany @ Eat at Home said...

Great looking recipe. I'm intrigued by the figs. I've never tasted fresh ones before.