Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Colors of Early Autumn


Last Saturday we got some purple hull peas as part of our CSA share, so I spent some of that morning shelling them.  You used to be able to buy fresh (not dried or frozen) shell beans and peas in regular grocery stores here in the south through the late summer and early fall, but now you either have to grow them yourself or buy them at a farmers market or produce stand, as they seem to have disappeared from the large regional and grocery chains (along with decent looking fresh okra!).


Looking at the beans as they fell from their cozy pod nests into the bowl, I was struck by their colors and thoughts of knitting entered my head.  I and my group of friends all taught ourselves and each other to knit years back when our 18/19/20somethings were all wee babes, and over the years I have knit a goodly number of socks and hats, as well as a few pullover sweaters.

Sometimes I like to find my color combinations in the garden or in nature.  I have a set of 100 felt tip markers, and I'll match the marker lids to the colors I see.

And here is the yarn I found in my stash to match the colors of the purple hull peas:

Not quite knitting weather yet -- but maybe if we have some cooler rainy afternoons in the next week or so perhaps I'll start something.  Perhaps a hat, or some socks, or maybe just some wristies (cuffs for wrists and lower arms) -- that would be quick and easy.

Linking to Tuesday Garden Party and Show off Your Cottage Monday

6 comments:

Mojo said...

I love the idea of Purple Hull Peas socks!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love those colors. Wristies are cute or cuffs for to go coffee cups.

We've had a little bit of rain today. Hope to get lots more starting tonight. We need it!

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

How beautiful--it's time to start decorating for autumn! Gorgeous colors.

JudyBug said...

I'm still drooling over the purple hull peas. I adore Fall but I miss the Farmer's Market with all the goodies!

Michelle713 said...

My mom sent some fresh purple hull peas that she cooked home w/SS from the barn last night. SS drank most of the pea juice on before going to swim team! We're gonna eat 'em up tonight... yummy. Purple hull peas are my 1 weakness!.... & I Love it when we have some baby okra pods ( 1"-2" max) to throw in the pot w/the peas. It flavors them there peas up just right near perfect.

Unknown said...

LOL, Michelle! Nice to see my Memphis friends visiting and commenting! "Purple Hull Peas are my one weakness." Channeling a bit of Dorcas Lane from "Larkrise to Candleford"?