Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Bit of Christmas Art

Miz Helen (you do know that here in the south, the honorific "Ms" has been in use for generations before it came into vogue in the 70's, right?  We always knew from the get go that it was pronounced "Miz"), well, back in October Miz Helen, the intrepid leader of the Altered Book Club, made us all take a board book home, with the challenge to "do something" with it -- whatever we wanted -- and bring it back to the November meeting.  This was a little daunting, because we still had to do our regular round robin book spread and I generally an only good for one decent idea a month.  And then, there's that thing called "life" that has to be dealt with also, which just doesn't leave a lot of time for extras.  Especially in November and December with the holidays!  I tried to bow out of the group earlier in the year, pleading lack of time -- but they wouldn't let me.  They said it wasn't allowed.  Kind of like the Hotel California -- you can check in, but you can never leave.

As you can see, I chose to make a Christmas "altar" kind of thing.  The first thing I did was eliminate having to deal with doing a whole bunch of pages by gluing the pages all together.  Actually, I cut off about 2/3 of some of the middle pages to make a kind of stage, so the spread would be dimensional.  On the left side I taped on part of a small box so it could hold some Christmas cards, or in this case a copy of a vintage edition of "The Night Before Christmas" that a local attorney sends to every member of the bar every year -- so I have a zillion of them.

 I covered the surfaces of the book with some papers and images from recycled Christmas cards, some ribbon and embellishment.  It can neither close nor open all the way, so it just sits there, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Linking to Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage

1 comment:

Ika Verunica said...

Draga Dijana ove tvoje karte su prekrasne!!!!
Pozdrav