Saturday, July 14, 2012

It's Fig-licious!

Is there anything that signifies decadent garden abundance more than fresh figs?  My figs have been ripening over the past two weeks, so abundantly ripe they about pull themselves from the tree's branches, their skins veining and splitting with rapid growth each day.  When the sun is out, the yard smells of fresh fig.  I can't believe how huge they are!


You can get an idea of their size from the butter knife placed on the bow.  That is a serving bowl, not a cereal bowl.  I can make a pound with about five of the figs.  I'm picking about 8 a day.  Since fresh figs only stay good 2 days at most, I decided to turn about two pounds of figs into Sticky Fig Jam.  It's a very easy recipe that I got from the cookbook "Put 'em Up".


I stemmed and quartered the figs and put them in a large non-reactive saucepan, along with 1 cup of water.  Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes to soften the figs and then mash and crush them up with a potato masher.  Add a cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar, and 1/4 cup of lemon juice and return to boil (one could add some pectin at this step if you want to stack your odds of jamming).


  Reduce heat and simmer for 20-40 minutes until thick and jammy, stirring frequently.


Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then ladle into jars.  You can refrigerate up to 3 weeks or put through a canner.  I put one jar in the fridge and the rest in the freezer instead of canning.


5 half pints out of the 2 pounds of figs.

Today I took 4 pounds of figs (5 figs to each container) to the farmer's market where I pick up my CSA, and sold them all at $5.00 per pound or $1.00 per fig.  Not bad.

Linking to Farmgirl FridaySunny Simple SundayPrudent Pantry ProjectsTuesday Garden PartyHome and Garden Thursday

11 comments:

Mindy said...

I would be eating myself sick if those were in my garden. Lucky, lucky. I LOVE fig jam with all my heart. Though, I've not been fortunate enough to ever have had homemade. If I see some at the farmer's market, I will FOR SURE try your recipe!

The Prudent Pantry said...

This jam looks amazing! I would love to try this.

I would love it if you would share this at my new Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-smart-solutions-linky_13.html

Have a great day!

Sunny Simple Life said...

That is not bad at all. Good job on the price. I love figs with a creamy cheese. So yummy. That jam would be good too with it. Have a wonderful Sunday!!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Wow~ your figs are huge! Our figs are not that big, but are coming pretty quickly on the tree...I need to hurry up and do something with them. I might try this jam.
Pat

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hi Diana! Oh...I am having serious fig envy right now looking at your jelly/jam! Years ago our first house had a fig tree and I did not appreciate it. Ahhh to know then what I know now!
Love,
Tracey
x0x
P.S. Thanks so much for the good thoughts today! :)))

Unknown said...

wow that is neat...I am not a huge fan of figs, but do love fig newtons....does that count? Ha. Thanks for sharing, I really learned somthing new tonight. Mica

Yael at Home Garden Diggers said...

Your figs look wonderful. My mouth is watering. We used to have a huge fig tree in California that produced many more figs than we could handle. My mom would render them down into this awesome syrup. Of course, we ate figs until we could pop.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

Oh, fresh figs, Diana--now I am totally going to have to move forward with a plan for adding a fig to the garden! They get pretty large, but I'm thinking about an espaliered fence of a fig--we'll see. Take care, thank you for stopping by my blog for a nice visit, and have a fantastic rest of the week!

Melanie said...

Those figs look yummy, so big!!

Christine said...

Oh my gosh! I love figs and this looks incredible! So nice to meet another homeschooling mom!

Mindy said...

The house down the street from me is vacant and the fig tree is busting at the seams. I grabbed seven on a walk today, but I'm goin' down with a bag to fill later. I remembered your recipe and had to come see if I had all the ingredients. Lucky me, I do! Can't wait for the first bite!