Monday, July 30, 2012
Six Ways to Make Your Outdoor Space Sparkly and Magical!
My garden is a magical place. There are always new surprises, and children and neighbors in our subdivision make a point to take walks along our street to see what new magic there might be.
6 ways you can bring magic to your garden:
1. Bring movement into your garden with items that catch the "merry little breezes"* -- like a colorful flag or banner, ribbons, or prayer flags.
Scatter wind chimes around the trees,
Place chimes around the house.
And garden spinners. Placing flags, chimes, and spinners where they can be seen or heard from indoors -- close to a window or door, will bring outdoor delights even when you are sitting in your house.
2. Spruce up your entrance with a colorful welcome mat.
3. Paint your mailbox.
Glue a ceramic bird on it.
4. Glue jewels on the sidewalk or place some in a beautiful bowl or clay saucer near the sidewalk and listen to little children tell their mothers about the jewels when they pass by.
A garden cat always brings some sparkle.
5. Hang a whimsical birdhouse or bird feeder just for looks.
6. And of course hang a functional bird feeder, especially a hummingbird feeder, and invite the magic of living creatures into your garden.
Pick one small thing to do this week, whether it is in the backyard for your personal enjoyment, or the front yard so your neighbors can experience some magic, and invite the faeries into your outdoor space. It will bring you outdoors more often, too, even if it's just to take a turn about the garden while holding a refreshing drink during our summer heat.
*"the merry little breezes" are the children of Old Mother West Wind that like to play in The Green Meadows in the animal stories written by Thornton W. Burgess, first published in 1910.
Linking to Tuesday Garden Party