Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent Even Easier!


I'm not kidding!  Making my own laundry detergent got even easier.

The most tedious part was grating the soap.  That was just a pain.  Maybe my hand held grater is too wimpy.  I don't know.  But it was not fun.  Not even close.  Although it wasn't THAT bad, but I'm just not into the zen of grating soap and really don't want it to last more than 30 seconds.

So -- I've started grating the soap with my food processor!



It's soap, right?  So it's kind of like cleaning it.  And people run needles across a bar of soap to -- do something -- I'm not sure what -- but it's "a good thing", as they say.

So first I grate the soap with the grater blade of the food processor, then I put in the "knife" blade and whiz it a few times to reduce the shreds to more of a powder consistency.  Then I pour it in a bowl and stir in the washing soda and borax.  The whole process took just a couple of minutes.

Here's the complete recipe:  1 bar of fels naphtha or zote soap, 1 cup super washing soda, 1 cup of borax.  Mix together, put in a container, use 2 Tablespoons per load of laundry.


1 comment:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I've never made my own laundry detergent but I've always imagined that the grating would be the hard part. This is a great idea!