Monday, December 17, 2012

Cooking from the Winter Garden: Roasted Root Vegetables


I found a pork roast in the depths of the freezer that I wanted to fix on Sunday, however it didn't thaw in time.  I knew I would be home most of Monday afternoon so that is what I fixed for dinner tonight.

That, and Roasted Root Vegetables with Herbs.  I have some carrots from my garden, supplemented with some baby carrots and small red potatoes from the grocery.  I rolled them in some olive oil and then pondered the seasonings.  Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper of course.  Crushed dried sage -- and some fennel?  Fennel fronds, not the seeds.  I went out to the garden to see if I could find any fennel still growing -- we have been unseasonably warm -- and bingo!  I found some growing, self seeded, in a pot by the back door where I have a Fairy Queen Rose planted.  A bit tricky reaching into the thorny stems of the rose to liberate some fennel fronds, but success!

Salt, pepper, sage, and chopped fresh fennel leaves to season the root veggies as they roast, and also to rub on the pork roast -- into a 325 oven for 1 hr 40 min.

It was so good.

No comments: