Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wildlife in the Garden

I found this fellow walking into our screen porch the other morning.  The screen porch leads into our back entry and we leave the door propped open so our cats, Ophelia and Belle, can come and go.  I picked him/her up and put her in my herb garden, which is where I took this picture.  I haven't seen it since.  Hopefully it has snuggled in under the blueberry or raspberry bushes, safe from marauding racoons and possums that frequent the neighborhood.

That same day, our neighbor across the street surprised a large copperhead snake that had decided to take the sun right in front of her front door.  She hollered at me to come when I went to get the mail, I saw it was a copperhead and got a neighbor man to come over and "dispatch" it.  I have a "backyard habitat" designation from the National Wildlife Federation, and I enjoy the birds, dragonflies, butterflies, the above box turtle (a first in the yard!), and garter snakes.  I would love to have a speckled king snake in the yard.  I can tolerate the racoons, possums, squirrels and chipmunks to some degree.  But no copperheads.  Nope.  No way.  Glad it wasn't in my yard because I hate to think what the folks in the neighborhood that don't like my gardening style would say.

No comments: