Saturday, June 2, 2012

Berries Berries Every Day

Berries berries every day hip hip hip hooray!  (a twist on a scene from the book "Caddie Woodlawn").


This is what I've been harvesting every morning since we got back from the beach last Saturday.  Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and peaches -- all ready for harvest at the same time!  It's been challenging to get out there and spend close to an hour picking the berries early in the morning to beat both the birds and the heat -- we had record high temps (in the mid 90's) last week (seems like we are always having record heat these days!), and keeping an eye on the two grandkids (age 3 and 4), who are still here with us.


In case you need a better look at those peaches.  This is the first year I have been able to harvest peaches.  It seems like most of the crop, and the best ones at that, are actually hanging into other people's back yards.  I hope they appreciate them!

That's about all I have to share this week.  I have lots of vacation pictures still to share and talk about -- but  with the grandkids here, my time -- and energy -- is limited, and we are getting ready for Hannah's graduation Open House next Saturday.  With the grandkids here, a lot of my plans for it are not going to be able to happen I think, and for my sanity I will have to follow KISS (keep it simple . . .) principles.  Last report from their mother is she might could get them tomorrow . . . or Monday . . . or Tuesday . . . or Wednesday at the latest, unless it's Thursday . . . .

linked to Farmgirl FridayTuesday Garden Party

1 comment:

Barb said...

What a harvest! I love berries but we are no where near ready to be picking yet...there is lots of promise of sweetness to come though.

Hopped over from the Tuesday Garden Party.