Saturday, August 25, 2012

No-Fuss Chicken Stock


It's been different here, having taken Hannah 400 miles away to college and now just having one child here at home.  We've been back a week and I think I mostly spent the week in a fog, recovering from the intensity of the "college drop-off" (all the emotion, the getting ready, the last minute shopping for items that were forgotten, the move in, etc) and trying to get started with a bit of a homeschooling routine.

I expected spend this weekend seriously weeding and rehabilitating the summer heat and drought ravaged garden, but have ended up with our 3 year old granddaughter spending the weekend with us.  She's still asleep this morning (having not settled down until 11:00 last night), and we are having a very welcome gentle steady rainy morning.  So, with my gardening plans gone awry, I decided to make some no fuss chicken stock.

Whenever I roast a chicken or buy an already roasted chicken from Costco, after we eat or pull off as much of the meat as we can, I like to make stock from the remaining carcass.  Often I don't have the time or the desire to deal with it that night (especially if we are eating one from Costco -- generally means I am too busy to cook one myself, or in the summer time because it's just to hot and I'm not thinking about soup and such).  I simply put the carcass in a ziplock bag and stash it in the freezer.

I had two carcasses squirreled away, so I pulled them out of the freezer, put them still frozen in my stock pot, filled the pot with water, added some "parsley sage rosemary and thyme", some salt and pepper, a bit of vinegar to draw out the calcium from the bones, and set it to simmer for a couple of hours.  I COULD have added some chopped onion, celery, carrots -- but I didn't feel like messing with chopping.  Remember, this is NO FUSS chicken stock.

After a couple of hours, I drained out the liquid and put it in the fridge so the fat rises to the top and can simply be lifted off.  When the solids cooled, I recovered about a cup of meat that can be added back in for soup.

Now I have stock to make some soup tomorrow, stock for the freezer for future use, and even cubes of stock frozen in an ice cube tray, which I then pop into a freezer bag and can get whenever I just need a few tablespoons or half cup of stock.

1 comment:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I stick the chicken in the freezer too. Have you tried making it in the crockpot? I haven't but I've read about and want to give it a try. It seems like a really no fuss way.

Thanks for letting me know about that vine. I'm going to collect the seeds and plant it all along my fence line since it seems to have no problem clinging to the wood. Seems like a easy way to cover the fence!