Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Altered Book Club art for September

I participate in a monthly round robin in the Altered Book club I'm in.  Each member picks a theme for their book, and then the books get passed around for everyone to do a spread in, in turn.  The theme for the book I had in September was "Nursery Rhymes".


First I scribbled on the pages with brown, green, and black watercolor crayons, then activated it with a paint brush.  While the pages were still wet I smooshed them together, and then pulled them apart -- which gave a very earthy, bark like look.  My nursery rhyme was the "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, going to the garden to - eat - worms" chant, which I made a copy of from a book I had bought off the sale table at Borders years ago for super cheap called "I Saw Esau" (full of tongue twisters, obnoxious chants, and word plays of childhood).  I drew and painted some worms and stuck them on with those pop up thingies, and glued on a bunch of fall leaves from the dollar store.


A couple of pictures cut out from a gardening catalog, along with the words "let the worms do the work" completed the spread.


3 comments:

Geneva said...

This is so neat ...I'm always impressed with altered art of any kind! Also, thank you for your comment on my blog re: bragging on grand kids. Yours look adorable ... I love that you've got their picture on your sidebar!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That's an unusual nursery rhyme! :)

Love the fall leaves around the page. Hopefully our leaves will really start looking like that soon!

Angela FlowersMoore said...

I'm glad saw this up close. Like what you did with the water color crayons and the little critters. Btw I'm fan of Gretchen love her daily quotes. She has so much going on need to catch up her e-mails.