Saturday, October 6, 2012

October Calendar Pages

I can't believe I've managed to keep up all the way through October with the 366 Calendar Challenge on The Kathryn Wheel.

Here are my September pages, all filled in -- I really think this was my favorite set of pages so far -- I've never painted flowers before (or much of anything "picture-wise", other than backgrounds), but I just love the way the hollyhocks turned out.  I used a book, called "Fast and Fun Flowers in Acrylics" by Laure Paillet, that I had bought some time ago after reading about it on Barb's Nature Blog (that blog is such a great resource for anyone interested in nature study and nature journaling).


For October, I covered the pages with this black lace patterned duct tape (which actually does not stick as well as one might hope!  My 15 yr old informs me that is how it often is with the "fancy" duct tape aimed at crafters).



The glare from my light over the kitchen table is difficult to deal with in the photos.  It's currently very October-ish outside -- raining and in the 50's.  And to think it was 90 degrees less than 10 days ago!


I drew and cut out the letters for October, glittered the edges with silver stickles, and attached the letters to the page with pop-up glue dots for a little dimension.  The dates are written beside each journaling circle in silver ink.  I added some swirls around the pages with the stickles.


I can't believe there are only two months left in the year!  Be sure to visit The Kathryn Wheel and view all of the other participants' calendar pages linked up at the bottom of the post.  And if you are a homeschooling parent, or just a parent wanting tips on appreciating and making art with children or for yourself, as well as ideas for nature study and nature journaling, check out Barb's Nature and Art blogs.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

How unusual and effective - what a great idea for Ocotber pages.

krisandkreate said...

Very nice. You have created some wonderful textures and the black is soooo different from your usual vibrant colours, but extremely effective. happy October :)

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Wow I'm impressed that you've made it almost to the end! I know I probably would have gotten sidelined by something at this point :) Very nice October pages.

Wildflowerhouse said...

Black Lace Duct Tape...well I never!!! Great idea and I like how you have used it.

Mojo said...

I love both pages but am especially enamored of the flowers. Good work Diana.

Marjie Kemper said...

September looks great all finished up and I love your funky set-up for October. Such wonderful contrast between your pages!

Unknown said...

great pages - I have to get that flower painting book. Your hollyhocks are gorgeous. Love your October spread -- isn't it so much more fun to do art than practice law?

Unknown said...

You got that right! In fact -- I knew it was time to stop when law and fun seemed like oxymorons.

20 North Ora said...

Diana - Very cute and Halloweeny page for October. Your flower pages are beautiful.

Judy