Friday, February 24, 2012

Record Warm Temperature



Yesterday we had a record high for the day, 79 degrees!  Our normal high is 54 this time of year.  It was sunny and beautiful.  We have had a lot of rain, making the ground too mucky to do much gardening.  However, my brother-in-law sent us home from Maryville last weekend with a huge cat litter bucket of daffodils he dug from an area of their yard where he wants to install a garden railroad.  He keeps digging out daffodils and they breath, "At last, some room to spread out!"  So he has pulled out buckets and buckets.  With the warm weather, I managed to set out all of the daffodils.  I already have a good many naturalized throughout our yard (all in full bloom right now), but I can always manage to find room for more!


They all look pretty much like the picture below -- kind of limp.  But by next spring they should be fine.


While I was scouting out spots for the new daffodils, I found this little beauty:


It's growing right next to the driveway.  At first I thought it must be a crocus.  I have no idea where it came from and it seems to have popped up from nowhere.  Then I looked closer.




It looks to be some kind of miniature iris.  This is way too early for any irises to be blooming, though.


I think it is just amazing.

linking to Show off Your Cottage

6 comments:

Unknown said...

warm!!! We are warm here too...not much of a Winter at all...Little rain and Spring/Summer like weather...chilly at night and that's it. It was so hot yesterday and today we went to the park on our bikes...where is Winter? Oh well, Spring is in the air and the blossoms are blossuming...so exciting...Hope you have a wonderful weekend!! Mica

Clint Baker said...

I don't know if I have ever seen an Iris that small. You may want to investigate that!

chateau chic said...

Don't you just love such a beautiful bloom this early??
I'm your newest follower and hope you'll stop by, Mary Alice

Renee said...

Is that a walking iris? My friend has some that look like that in her garden. You mentioned Maryville are you in Tenn? I'm in GA but work in Tenn and of course love to go to Pigeon Forge and the Smokies.

My daffodills are blooming. I love spring

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Lucky you! I'd love to have so many daffodils that I HAD to dig them up! I planted about 60 last fall - can't have too many.

Yes, it's so warm already! Some of my fruit trees have blooms!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, what a sweet surprise! Your property must be amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Sandi